Weekday dinners can easily turn into a hassle. And, after a full day's work, slaving over a stove isn't most people's idea of heaven on Earth. Especially, if you're trying to follow dietary restrictions.
But, it doesn't always have to be that way!
These baking pouches come together super quick and easy. And the possibilities are endless! So, you could make it multiple times a week, and it'll feel like a different meal every time. Simply pick 2-3 vegetables and a protein. We recommend sausage, chicken, or fish, since they all cook at the same rate as the vegetables.
This recipe is easily made Paleo-friendly by using Paleo-compliant vegetables and meat. For our version, we used Bilinski's Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage, zucchini squash, and yam. And for a lil' bit o' extra flavor, we threw in garlic and shallots.
All you have to do is chop your veggies and protein into bite-sized pieces, and toss it onto parchment paper. Then, grab whatever herbs and spices tickle your fancy (we used salt and pepper) and season to taste. Finally, we drizzled the whole shebang in olive oil.
To make your pouch, fold in the top and sides of the parchment paper and press the folds well, to secure it. You can also use twine if you have trouble keeping the pouch folds closed.
Place pouch on a baking sheet, and bake until vegetables are tender. Depending on what vegetables you choose, it will take 30-45 minutes. If you're feelin' some extra protein, we recommend topping your baked goodies with a fried egg (Team Sunny-Side Up in the house)! Let the pouch cool down for 5 minutes, carefully open it, top with your egg, and dig in!
SAUSAGE + VEGGIE ROAST • PALEO-FRIENDLY
Recipe by Gibson's Natural Grocer
• Makes 1 generous serving
•PREP: 15 minutes, BAKE: 30-45 minutes
2 links Bilinksi's Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage, cut into 1" segments
1/2 large or 1 small yam, cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 large or 1 small zucchini, cut into 1" segments
3 small shallots, peels and cut in half
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 large egg
1-2 TBS olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Tear off a piece of parchment paper about 18-24 inches long
- Place sausage and all chopped vegetables on center of parchment paper
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle with olive oil
- Fold parchment paper into pouch by bringing top edges together and folding down tightly. Do same with each side.
- Place on rimmed baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- While pouch is cooling, fry egg in olive oil over low heat.
- Place pouch in plate, carefully open pouch (watch out for hot steam!), and top with fried egg.
- Bon Appetit!